Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Golden Smog- First Avenue 1992


Sorry for the lack of posts recently. There was a major heatwave here for the past two weeks (or more) and it's been difficult to stay cool here at home without air conditioning. It's not that I'm not using my computer, it's that it's hard to think and write when all I want to do is drink a few cold ones and veg on the couch. For the last couple of days the heat has broken (more heat/humidity coming at the end of the week) and I'm ready to get back at this because I'm feeling somewhat guilty neglecting my (unpaid) job of writing about music (which I love!). I spent part of Sunday browsing through boxes of CD's choosing material to rip to the computer to post in the near future. The next week and half my schedule is pretty busy because the Fringe Theatre Festival starts on Wednesday and my son is in a play almost every night (late night show), so my blogging will be with less talk and (hopefully) more music...we'll see.

In my last post I said it would be the last Tweedy-related post for a while, that is true and not true. Today's post is a rare early Golden Smog show that pre-dates Jeff Tweedy's participation in the project and when Chris Mars was still in the band. David Pirner from Soul Asylum plays a larger role singing lead on at least 3 songs including a pre-Soul Asylum version of Keep It Up. Golden Smog was a loosely connected group of musicians, kind of an Minneapolis all-star band with members from well-known Twin Cities bands; Dan Murphy, Dave Pirner (Soul Asylum), Gary Louris, Marc Perlman (Jayhawks), Kraig Johnson (Run Westy Run), Chris Mars (Replacements) and later Jeff Tweedy (Wilco), Noah Levy (Honeydogs) and Jody Stephens (Big Star). Later in 1992, the band released their first EP,  On Golden Smog, an album entirely of covers. In the early days they played covers as a reaction to the punk and hardcore scene that was popular in town and even when they released albums of original material, the covers in concerts was always a mainstay. Country-rock and classic rock covers seemed to be their favourites. This early show is a perfect example of the spirit and fun the band conveyed without playing any material from their own bands and the tongue-in-cheek cover versions that must have been hilarious and very entertaining...the way it should be!

I received this show in a trade many years ago (over 10-12?) and I have never seen it shared online or anywhere else, except on trade lists. I was tempted to post it on Dime, but I know there are fans of the Smog here, so this is an TDIT exclusive.
Enjoy!

GOLDEN SMOG
First Avenue
Minneapolis, MN
January 29, 1992


01. Superstar
02. We're An American Band
03. Handbags And Gladrags
04. Tarpit
05. Spooky
06. Wild Fire
07. Keep It Up
08. You're So Vain
09. Backstreet Girl
10. Son
11. Help Me Make It Through The Night
12. Shooting Star
13. Most Beautiful Girl In The World
14. Easy To Be Hard
15. No More No More
16. Bell Bottom Blues
17. Almost Cut My Hair
18. Revolution Blues

GOLDEN SMOG- 1992-1-29, First Avenue, Mpls FLAC. rar

13 comments:

Mason said...

In 1996 I went to the new Warehouse Music (before it because Blockbuster Music and then an empty room full of broken cd shelving) and bought 5 discount used cds for $5 - Golden Smog's "Down by the Old Mainstream", Superchunk's "No Pocky for Kitty", Spoon's "Telefono" and Archer's of Loaf's "Icky Mettle".

I was 15 years old and I'd never heard of any of the bands, but I used to spend hours taking HUGE stacks of used CDs to the listening stations. Of all the discs I've bought and sold in the last 20 years, I still have all five of those.

Anyway, thanks for all the awesome shit you post.

ate2zee said...

Binky is absolutely correct to say there are some Smog fans out there who would appreciate this 1992First Avenue concert. My dl bar is now registering 77% & I'm starting to get very happy here. Loved the last Smog from the Vic Theatre 2006 but I'm excited to hear this version with Chris Mars & early Soul Asylum. Thanks for persisting through the dew point to post this!

ate2zee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
binky said...

FYI- I deleted the last comment because it was a duplication of the previous comment. Didn't want you to think I was censoring anyone.

Thanks for your comments, have more Smog if there's interest! Even have an earlier show than this one.

Anonymous said...

This looks cool - any chance of a repost?

Atlas

Unknown said...

I too would loooove a repost. Just got into the Smog.

Unknown said...

I too would loooove a repost. Just got into the Smog.

Jose' said...

I second the request for a re-post. Thanks for all the sublime sharing.

Unknown said...

God, I would love a re-up.... thanks for a great blog!

Anonymous said...

Would love a re-post if possible. Thanks!

robgronotte said...

I'd love to see a repost also...

Anonymous said...

This looks very cool. A re-post would be greatly appreciated. Just found the blog. Thanks for the other Smog posts!

binky said...

Yes, i will re-post very soon. Just gotta locate the disc the show was on.

Locations of visitors to this page