Monday, November 07, 2011

Orange Humble Band- Assorted Creams


Up until about a month ago I didn't know this record existed or had I ever heard of the Orange Humble Band. I stumbled upon it on another music blog, as I noticed the singer of the band was Ken Stringfellow (The Posies) and that Mitch Easter was also involved. Orange Humble Band's debut album, Assorted Creams was released in 1998, but the band was formed in 1995 by Daryl Mather (Lime Spiders, The Someloves) who had an albums worth of songs, that would be the basis of their first album. The recording began in 1995 with Bill Gibson (bass), Matt Galvin (guitar), Peter Kelly (drums), and Anthony Bautovich (vocals). This line-up recorded the early version of the album in Australia, with final recordings taking place in Mitch Easter's studio in North Carolina with Ken Stringfellow adding lead vocals.

As a big fan of the Posies, I'm surprised I hadn't come across anything by OHB, though if you look at the number of bands Ken Stringfellow has played with and contributed to (Posies, Minus 5, R.E.M., Big Star, Saltine, The Disciplines, etc.), I'm not surprised I missed this. Back in the 80's I bought up anything that had Mitch Easter's name on it, either as a producer and of course his awesome band, Let's Active, so when I heard these two names were involved I was excited, yet hesitant. On the surface, this line-up has quasi-supergroup implications written all over it, but it's anything but that because it has a very cohesive and unique sound to it. The first time I listened to Assorted Creams I was instantly in love with their sound, the great melodies and the richly layered pop songs. This album is as good (or even better!) than the best Posies records and should be considered one of the best power pop albums of the 90's. It's a shame it hasn't gotten the exposure it deserves, so do yourself a favour and have a listen to this essential unappreciated classic!
Enjoy!!

ORANGE HUMBLE BAND
Assorted Creams (1998)
  1. Fanclub Requiem
  2. Down In Your Dreams
  3. Sleepin' In My Caravan
  4. It Doesn't Matter
  5. Spindizzy
  6. Anywonder How
  7. Can't Get What You Want #1
  8. Little Picture Story Book
  9. Katie Said No
  10. Cherrytime
  11. Rainin' Like Soft Fun
  12. Hello, Emptiness
  13. Think I'm Gonna Get You (Oh, Dwight)
  14. Apple Green Slice Cut (Tamra Tamla)
  15. Through Your Veins
ORANGE HUMBLE BAND- Assorted Creams. rar

5 comments:

clayhill said...

Thanks for posting. I'm surprised this remains so unknown. It's really fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I agree with clayhill. I'm going to tell everyone about this site! Fantastic work. Thanks so much.

bglobe313 said...

I have shelves of power pop and this is about as good as it gets. The songs rock. And for me I also include (at least) two songs that make references to great early Nils Lofgren.

Ace K.

loosepills said...

THANK YOU for actually crediting the working musicians who put in the hard work (over five years' worth, in fact, with very little actual reward) in pulling this album together! We tend to get written out of OHB history now that Mr. Moneybags has gone on to make more records with his high profile hired hands...

and yes, it's a bloody great album and we're rightfully proud of our work!

cheers, bg

binky said...

Hey Loosepills, thanks for posting! Amazing record, hope it's cool to share it here with the masses!

Locations of visitors to this page