Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sara & Tegan -Live On CBC Radio 1998


Back in 1998 at the age of 17, the Quin twins (identical) entered a Garage Warz Battle Of the Bands competition in their hometown of Calgary, beknownst to them this would be the start of a very successful career in music. Since winning the contest, they have toured extensively and have just released their sixth album, Sainthood to much critical acclaim. They played a pair of sold-out shows in Winnipeg last week on a cross country tour where they will play pretty much every major city in the US and Canada...ha! who needs American Idol when Garage Warz can open so many doors.

I must admit I'm not really a huge Tegan and Sara fan, but I can appreciate their dedication and hard work and keeping true to their own vision. I have their first couple albums, but honestly I can't remember the last time I gave them a spin. I've heard a few cuts from the new album and it's not bad, I'll have to give it a complete listen.

I'm in the process of converting some of my live concert tapes to CD (or digital files) and I thought this T & S recording might be of interest. It's a radio broadcast of CBC's Radiosonic, a program that aired Saturday night on the FM dial. Each week they featured a live concert and sometimes a live in-studio performance in their Vancouver studio. I had a habit of recording any band that sounded interesting or that I was familiar with already. This night, Sara and Tegan (this is not a typo, this was before they were officially known as Tegan And Sara) who were virtually unknown at the time, were interviewed and performed live in-studio. This is a rare early live recording and it's a good raw performance...that sounds great!
I also posted the uncompressed FLAC version on Dimeadozen.org (you need to be a member)

SARA & TEGAN
CBC Studio 2
Vancouver, BC

May 30, 1998

(FM Master)
1. Intro
2. Interview
3. Here I Am
4. Interview
5. I'm Falling Asleep
6. Interview
7. Days And Days
8. Outro


SARA & TEGAN- 5-30-98. rar

1 comment:

yks vitun kokki kolmonen? said...

Thank you so much, this is pure gold.

Locations of visitors to this page